Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Losartan

My Google Alerts brought this interesting mitochondrial study today. The drug Losartan rang a bell. Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker had mentioned it to me in Reno in 2009 as he was explaining his poster paper. Dr. Rosamund Vallings wrote a bit about it in her summary, and I found the following on the Phoenix Rising website.

"TGF-beta 1 in the treatment of autoimmunity in CFS associated with HLA DR by PCR - Ritchie Shoemaker - The ability of Losartan (up to 50 mg a day), an angiotensin receptor blocker, labeled for treatment of hypertension, to lower TGF beta-1 may affect TH-17 cells that in turn affect T regulatory cells. Losartan may have a role in the innate immune abnormalities in CFS."

2 comments:

  1. How is losartan going work for many of us who have low blood pressure?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this reference - I never would have come across it on my own.

    ReplyDelete